God’s Word and proffer are not just for Believers, but for all people. And so it is with the ten commandments. Given by God to Moses at Mount Sanai, they are rules for all of us.
Here are two versions of the Commandments First, the Ten Commandments for toddlers:
- Love God most of all.
- Always remember that I am your God.
- Say only good things about God.
- Save one day a week to praise God.
- Obey your mom and dad.
- Take care of life. It comes from God.
- Remember marriage is a promise.
- Make sure it is OK before you borrow things from others.
- Always tell the truth.
- Be happy for others even when they have things you want.
And here the explication for those adults in need of greater clarity. Note the first four deal with our relationship with God, and the other six deal with our relationship with our fellow man:
And God spoke all these words, saying, “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.
- “You shall have no other gods before me.
- “You shall not make for yourself a carved image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. You shall not bow down to them or serve them, for I the Lord your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.
- “You shall not take the name of the Lord your God in vain, for the Lord will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.
- “Remember the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days you shall labor, and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work, you, or your son, or your daughter, your male servant, or your female servant, or your livestock, or the sojourner who is within your gates. For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that is in them, and rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.
- “Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.
- “You shall not murder.
- “You shall not commit adultery.
- “You shall not steal.
- “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
- “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house; you shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male servant, or his female servant, or his ox, or his donkey, or anything that is your neighbor’s.”
Got it? Go forth.